Sunday, June 16, 2013

SOTD and no-bake energy bites (aka peanut butter heaven)


I'm now happily in Maine, where I've gone for vacation countless times.  It's the first vacation I ever remember going on, and I used to come here every year until I became too busy in high school.  We started coming here again last year, and I am glad to be back at my favorite vacation spot. 

But, before we came, I had to prep lots of food for healthy snacks for the road trip up an hiking.  I started out with this to get my day started:







Continue reading to see what I used and other food noms..



Watermelon green smoothie:
4 c. watermelon
2 1/2 c. kale
1 banana
1 c. water
1 T hemp seeds
2 T flax seeds

It was sooo good!  It tasted just like watermelon juice, but with some greens sneaked in :)

And here is what I've discovered to be my form of crack:



I was tempted to eat the entire thing.  Somebody needs to keep these away from me when I'm not having really active days of hiking and biking. Peanut butter, oats, chocolate = my favorite combination.
 



 I took the recipe straight from gimmesomeoven.com and just swapped out the coconut flakes for raisins and dried blueberries. For reference, here's exactly what I used:

1 1/4 c. oats
1/2 c. peanut butter
1/3 c. honey
1/2 c. raisins
1/3 c. dried blueberries
1/2 c. ground flax seeds
1 T. Chia seeds
1/2 c. chocolate chips

Mix it all together, let it refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour, then roll into balls or whatever shape you want!  My recipe yielded 25 balls, and I've kept them refrigerated.  

This serves as a great breakfast, mid-hike snack, or dessert!  I'm obsessed with them and have had to show great restraint to not eat them all.

Then later that night, as I was fighting myself to not eat my peanut butter balls,  I microwaved a white peach with some cinnamon.  It was more delicious than you could imagine.


Next up, pictures of Maine!

No comments:

Post a Comment