Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Review: L'oreal Color Riche Extraordinaire Liquid Lipsticks

Ever since the YSL Glossy Stains made their appearance a couple year ago, it seems like every brand on the market is trying out their version of a hybrid gloss-stain-liquid lipstick.  L'oreal came out with a closer dupe to the YSL Glossy Stains with their Caresse Lip Stains earlier, but it seems that they now have a glossier, lip gloss version of them.

Spoiler alert: if you want an intensely pigmented, moisturizing, and long lasting gloss that feels cushiony for hours, the L'oreal Color Riche Extraordinaire Liquid Lipsticks are for you.






Keep reading for some swatches and thoughts!




When these products rolled out onto the market, it took me a few months to try them, but now that I've tried them, I'm completely hooked!  

The first thing that caught my eye was the packaging.  The tube is simple and understated, and I love the gold although it does attract fingerprints easily.  I considered wearing gloves while handling these for the review....although I eventually just settled on just being very very careful.  I also love that the shade is visible on the packaging, making it easy to identify the shades.



 The wand also distributes the color well.  It is slightly tear drop shaped and curved, so it covers the lip perfectly.

Out of many lip glosses/hybrid liquid lipstick-lipglosses, these stand out as a unique formula.  Upon swatching, the first thing I noticed was how pigmented and rich it looked.  It's almost like a really thick lipgloss, only it isn't sticky in any way and it holds together in a way that the liquid lipstick-gloss formulas do.  The only way I know how to describe this is like a cushiony feel that is very pleasant on the lips.  Like I said before, it is not sticky despite how thick the product is, and feels incredibly moisturizing on the lips.  

What sets these products apart from the other liquid lipsticks I've tried is that it doesn't quite set into a stain or lose its glossiness as quickly.  While I love how the YSL Glossy Stains and the L'oreal Caresse Liquid Lipsticks do that without feeling drying, I sometimes wish that those products would feel more like a moisturizing gloss.  Granted, these Color Riche Extraordinaires will not stain and last as long, but I still get an incredible wear time while feeling like these products are remaining full coverage and glossy.  After three hours of wear, the shades show no signs of fading and still feels as moisturizing as it did when I first applied it.  After five hours,  I notice that it feels lighter on my lips, but when I checked in the mirror, it still looks fairly glossy and pigmented on my lips, especially Fuchsia Orchestra shade, which is practically neon upon application.  

While these do not dry down into as much of a stain, I still find them to be incredibly long wearing stay on well throughout the day.  I noticed that whenever I wore it, I never had to touch it up unless I was looking to wear it past 5 or 6 hours...quite an impressive feat as I'm usually touching up regular lipsticks and glosses after just a couple hours!  All in all, I am completely sold by the formula of these.

The three shades that I own are 101 Rose Melody, 103 Blushing Harmony, and 106 Fuchsia Orchestra...all shades that I naturally gravitate towards (minus a coral shade!).  There is a pretty large selection of shades, but these pretty much cover my essentials - a nude pink, a MLBB shade, and a bright fuchsia shade.  I will be looking to pick up the coral and red versions, and possibly a burgundy, but I know I will get the most use out of these three.







101 Rose Melody is a sheer nude pink that would be flattering on many skin tones.  I consider these shades pretty fail proof in terms of color in many products that I try, and since they are great shades to throw on to make m whole look appear more polished, they are also among my most used shades.

103 Blushing Harmony is a great pink-mauve shade that works as a MLBB.  It brightens up my complexion subtly, while pulling together any look for a polished and put together face.  Blushing Harmony was more pigmented than Rose Melody; it is not completely full coverage, but closer to medium coverage.

107 Fuchsia Orchestra is an almost neon fuchsia pink. While it has a slight purple lean to it, I would classify it as a fuchsia combined with neon pink more than anything. I can safely say that this is the brightest lip color I own, but since I find these shades to be quite flattering on me, I'm a little less hesitant to wear these.

Now for some swatches:


Bare Lips



101 Rose Melody
101 Rose Melody


103 Blushing Harmony
103 Blushing Harmony


106 Fuchsia Orchestra
106 Fuchsia Orchestra
101 Rose Melody, 103 Blushing Harmony, 107 Fuchsia Orchestra



Bottom line?  I absolutely love the feel of these gloss-lipstick hybrids.  Although it's not quite as staining as their Caresse counterparts or the more pricey YSL version,  I like these for a more low-maintenance and glossy feel. 

If I had to give these a rating, I would say A-/A or 4.5 out of 5, depending on the intensity of the shade.   These aren't my new OMG HG product, but they are pretty darn good.

Have any of you tried these? What are your thoughts?

 And don't forget to keep up with my posts on:

2 comments:

  1. WOW Fuchsia Orchestra is BRIGHT! :o These sound great, Steph!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's absolutely beautiful, and definitely a statement lip.So much fun to wear, though!

      Delete