Thursday, August 7, 2014

Paris, the second time around.

Oh, Paris, you iconic city.  You're known as the city of lights and the city for romance; the city every girl dreams of visiting.  The city of beautiful architecture, art, history, food, fashion, and of course - the Eiffel Tower.  It holds a certain magic that keeps millions of people coming, and then coming back over the years.  







So what is it about Paris that leaves me feeling uncomfortable?  What about it doesn't "click" with me?

It's something I've thought about, especially after visiting it for the second time and giving it a second chance.  It's a beautiful city, I get that.  The architecture and winding streets hold a certain allure, inviting you to wander and discover new cafes, and it's so easy to lose track of time in the numerous museums of the city.


However, I've never been drawn to Paris the same way I've been to other European cities, or other cities in the world for that matter.   I don't seem to "sink" into the city and absorb myself in it the same way I can with other cities.  I never quite feel like I belong or am motivated to discover every nook and cranny of the city.  And for me, it's okay to feel that way.  My memories in the city are not formed entirely from the sites I visit, and the overall vibe of the city.  Instead, my best memories of Paris will always be of the people I spent time with.







Beautiful sunset from my apartment.




Paris is a beautiful city, no doubt, but I remain conflicted over how I feel about it. I think part of me feels like I don't belong in that beauty, but at the same time, the beauty doesn't feel completely authentic to me.  Maybe it's the French culture and history that I don't fully understand, but for now, I'm thankful for the amazing memories that have culminated as a result of the people that I spent time with in Paris, and I will be happy to observe from the outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment