Monday, October 21, 2013

Updates and changes...A whole lot of random!

While I'm on a short break from school,I thought I'd take the time to catch up on some recent beauty, food, and life updates. My life has been a whirlwind of school and work, and while I love it, it's incredibly draining and challenging. Must of the week my schedule is packed from 7am to 8pm, and by the time the weekend arrives, all I can think about doing is sleeping.

I've made a couple small changes to this blog, mostly just some formatting and adding a new header and footer.  They're some small changes, but I like the extra details they add.  Let me know what you think of them!  

If you've been following my Instagram, you would still see any food pictures that I have, but my cooking experiments have also been drastically reduced. Although it's been ages since I've made anything noteworthy, here are still a few updates of what I've been up to recently....


Some baked pumpkin spice oatmeal:


It was ridiculously simple, following this recipe from Skinnytaste.com.  It was a great breakfast/snack/dessert, and I loved pairing it with some peanut butter, as well!  I may try this with quinoa in the future just to mix things up a bit.

Going home for a weekend now seems like much more of a luxury than it did before.  I can relax, use my parent's (large!) kitchen, watch TV, and forget about school for just a little bit.  However, I think I might like the FOOD the best of all! There's nothing like having a fully stocked pantry and refrigerator to play around in.  Trying to figure out what to do with a gigantic head of cauliflower, I decided to try out some cauliflower crust pizza, with homemade tomato sauce (my first ever!) and sausage, mushrooms, spinach, and mozzerella cheese on top.

It was pretty successful, except I don't think I let the crust bake enough, and the sauce could have used another 20 minutes of simmering to become thicker.  However, it tasted JUST like a real pizza, only without all the carbs!  The only downside was that this took my a better part of the afternoon to prepare the sauce and the cauliflower.  It turns out that wringing moisture out from pulverized cauliflower takes a lot longer than I thought...




Read after the jump to see more pictures and other happenings in my life





Yum, pizza deliciousness....a total hit with my dad, who is completely opposed to "healthy" foods!

My favorite part about fall is undoubtedly the apples.  Although I didn't have the time to go apple picking, I made sure to stop by my favorite farms to pick up some honey crisp apples.  I was quite adamant on buying them at home and then lugging them back to D.C., even though there are a plethora of apples here, as well. What can I say, I'm loyal to my farms...?


I wish I could have gotten ALL of these..hehe


I also popped by Target to pick up this beauty....as well as the elf Eyelid primer, since I'm running out of my NYX HD Eye primer!

I haven't tried either of them out yet, but the Sonia Kashuk palette swatches BEAUTIFULLY, and I've heard rumors of it going on sale.  It's limited edition, so if you want it, go buy it NOW!




By the way, I'd like to point out that most of these pictures were taken with my phone, the Samsung S4.  I've just started reallly experimenting with its camera, and am so impressed with its capabilities!

And because I miss my smoothies and the excessive time I used to have to make them, I made one today in the spirit of a much needed detox and the fall season.  I crammed in some spinach, half a granny smith apple, some baby carrots, hemp seeds, and water.  Because I don't have my VitaMix with my anymore, it didn't liquify everything as well as I would have liked....resulting in a very pulpy smoothie, BUT it was still delightful to finally have a smoothie after so long!



With copious amounts of cinnamon

And finally, on an early drive to my train station, I caught this beautiful sunrise.  Fall is my favorite season because of this.  I also love being at home because of this.  The farms, the fields, the hazy mornings, and the quiet serene in the mornings.  It's the moments like that that completely take my breath away and make my stop and appreciate the beauty around me for a moment.




Sappy moment over.  But looking at these two pictures makes me miss being home even more now that I'm fully immersed in the chaos of a city.

Not to worry though - I now have a few posts planned, including my "Shop Your Stash" from October.  It's not the beginning/middle of the month anymore, but better late than never, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment