Sunday, March 16, 2014

A Little Haul (NYX and Real Techniques) and What Goes On A Face - FOTD

I don't know what spring break means for you - but it certainly doesn't mean sitting in my room writing a paper the entire week.  Alas, my spring break was not full of sun, beaches, warm weather, or too much of a "break," at all, but at the end of the day, I'm actually glad I had time to work on my homework without having to worry about class for a week. (Note that this is the life of an overachieving nerd, and I'm desperately hoping it will all pay off in the end)  

BUT, I did manage to get a few things done. Beauty-related things, too!  I bought makeup for the first time since January...a BIG deal for someone as beauty and makeup obsessed as me.  And I only managed to spend $20..not too bad, right?  

Here's the damage:




To see more details (and swatches), as well as how I incorporated these into a look (plus a haircut), keep reading!


Since I don't live anywhere near an ULTA in DC, I took advantage of my time at home and popped over to check out a few things.  I didn't end up getting too much, but I did finally get my hands on some Real Techniques brushes, which I've been wanting to try out ever since they came out.



I'm sure I don't need to talk about these too much, but I got the blush brush and setting brush, and I LOVE them both.  They've already made their way into my daily brush rotation for blush and setting my undereye concealer, and they won't be leaving anytime soon. 

I was curious to compare the Blush Brush to my Sonia Kashuk Domed Multipurpose Brush (now discontinued).   I'm happy to report that I think I might actually like the Real Techniques version better, but I'll post more on that later ;)

Since NYX reformulated all their eyeshadows, I was happy to find the old versions on sale.  They wer in some random sale bin, but the two shades I've picked up are right up my alley, and also will become everyday staples for me.

I picked up Gypsy (left) and Deep Bronze (right).  As many neutrals as I own already, these somehow fill a hole in my collection of all over "barely there with a sheen" washes, and they absolutely had to come home with me.



 

Swatch of Gypsy (left) and Deep Bronze(right)

Gypsy is one of the Glam shadows that I never had a chance to try until now, but they were part of a line that had more glitter in them.  Gypy is a beautiful bronze shade with some glitter infused throughout, which I was drawn to for the luminous, shimmering look that it gives me.

Deep Bronze is actually not a deep bronze shade at all, but it is more of a camel tan shade that I have used everyday since I've gotten it.  It works as a wash, or as a subtle blending shade, and it has a beautiful low-shimmer satin finish.  I don't have anything like it in my collection (again...a surprise to me), so I'm definitely happy I have this now!

The last little thing at the top is the travel-sized Bedhead Manipulator, a pomade-gel  that I bought to use a texturizing balm.  Since I've gotten a haircut, I need something to give my hair some texture so that it dries nicely after showering - mostly because I'm lazy and hate blow-drying my hair unless I absolutely have to.  This lets me air dry my hair while giving it some nice shape.

So about the hair.

I managed to get a haircut that was something more than just a little two inch trim off the end.  Granted, my hair wasn't too long to start with, but at least it looks drastically different now.  I haven't had hair this short since I was 13, and I have to say - I'm loving my short hair now.  It's a pretty blunt cut that I can play around with to make it look polished or more carefree.  My biggest worry was that it would be too much maintenance to make sure all the ends went in the same direction, but with a little bit of pomade, it's actually quite easy to manage.

Here are some photos of how it turned out (plus my FOTD):



I'm not sure this totally classifies as a bob, but it's definitely short!  this was probably the length of my shortest layer before.  As I said, I'm LOVING this length because I feel like it brings out my cheekbones and my makeup better.

And some more photos of the makeup, featuring the two NYX shadows I bought from ULTA.  See how they create a beautiful polished but effortless look?  I'm in love with them, as boring as they look in the pan:





The main products I used (and use this as a preview of my March favorites!)



I'm going to add that the Real Techniques Blush Brush applies my blush flawlessly, and it looks versatile enough to use with both pigmented and not-so-pigmented brushes.  The Setting brush also blends powder seamlessly over my concealer, and is the perfect size for the undereye area.  I could even see this as a detail highlighter brush, but for now, it'll remain as my setting brush.

Products Used:
Face:
Origins Vitazing (not pictured)
Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum Foundation in Shade 53
Bobbi Brown Peach Corrector (not pictured)
Physician's Formula Healthy Wear SPF 50 Powder Foundation
Physician's Formula Bronze Booster Bronzer in Light Medium (not pictured)
Clinique Glow Cream Blush Stick 
ELF Blush in Peachykeen
Bare Minerals Warmth powder

Eyes:
ELF Mineral Eye Primer (not pictured)
MAC Bare Study Paint Pot
NYX Deep Bronze on lid
NYX Gypsy in crease
Physician's Formula Gel Eyeliner
Maybelline Volume Express mascara (not pictured)

Lips:
ELF Party Pink Lipstick


Sorry that this was kind a random post with a haul, mini review, update, and FOTD jammed together, but they related to each other so much that it only made sense to put them together!

Thank you for reading :)

1 comment:

  1. Your hair looks so pretty :) I really need to buy some Real Techniques brushes, there cheap and all I hear is rave reviews. x

    ReplyDelete