Thursday, June 5, 2014

The Reading List

I can't remember the last time I actually was able to start and finish a book for leisure.  For the past three year, all my free time for reading has been occupied by studying, or reading for class, or simply being too brain-dead to read any more. This has actually been the first summer since I entered college where I have had time to sit down and read.....and sitting down and reading has been exactly what I'm doing.  In the past month I have finished not just one but FOUR books, and I have a plans to finish many more on my reading list.





These are just a few books that have been on my radar lately, and I still plan on reading many more!

P.S. I Love You is my favorite rom-com movie, and I've actually read the book once before.  It is slightly different from the movie, but I still enjoy it for a relaxing read, especially when I'm on the beach!

The Alchemist is a book that I've been meaning to read for awhile now.  I borrowed it from a friend who told me it had changed her entire outlook on life, and I can that I thought about this book long after I read it.  It taught me that fate does not completely control us, and how to trust your heart.  Coelho also has a magical way of writing, and the entire book is beautiful to me.

I haven't actually read The Fault in Our Stars yet, but this is on my list for sure! I had to buy it just to be sure I had it when I travel.

I am a big fan of Elizabeth Gilbert (and fun fact, she actually lives a few miles away from my home town!), and I love her witty style of writing.  After reading Eat, Pray, Love a few years ago when I was going through a rough spot in my life, and it was completely inspirational and influential to me.  Committed, a book about Gilbert's commentaries on marriage and her own experience with it was a fascinating and informative read.  It provoked more of my own thoughts on marriage, as well.

I had the wonderful chance of attending a talk and meeting Amy Tan in March, and bought her new book, The Valley of Amazement, to read this summer.  It is a massive book, but I was unable to put it down as it told an enthralling tale of Chinese courtesan life, family, and love.

Finally, the most recent book I've read is Kitchen Confidential by the famous chef, Anthony Bourdain.  I know nothing about being a chef, but I can tell that after reading this, I have no desire to be one.  However, Bourdain's anecdotes are humorous and awe-inspiring.

These are the books that I currently have, but among the long list of books on my list include:
  • The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Milan Kundera
  • The Kite Runner, Khaled Hosseini
  • The Dinner, Herman Koch
  • The Lover, Marguerite Duras
  •  Death in Venice, Thomas Mann
  • I am Malala, Malala Yousafzai
  • Lolita, Vladimir Nabokov 
  • The Big Fat Surprise, Nina Teicholz
    ...and many many more, some of which are purely for academic interests and are probably only interesting to me...
Any books that I'm missing?  Have you read any of thee books?  Let me know!


No comments:

Post a Comment